Speaking of lost skills...

If you look around online, you'll find shaving experts offering their suggested shaving starter kit. Aye, 'tis a good kit, too. So, in the interest of variety and all that, here's my everyday rig, although you new kids would do better to stick those guys' suggestions, since they are Professionals. Anyway, here's mine:

Gillette Adjustable DE safety razor. Contrary to popular opinion, I far prefer the slim handle, with the year codes I through N. The loss of heft is more than compensated by the added maneuverability. You should also find what setting works with your choice of blades and quit futzing with it. With the blades listed below, I am at #6.
Israeli Personna “Super+” (aka “no-name” or "Crystal") DE razor blades. These truly kick arse, at a ridiculous price. You can also score them on eBay.
Vulfix #2234 badger shaving brush I even got it to match my scuttle. I can get my geek on just as impressively as anyone else, sue me.
Proraso/Bigelow shaving cream I found it, because it was insanely cheap and readily available at most Target stores. But then Target dropped it, and your options are now to buy it under the Bigelow brand (which also has it in a TSA-friendly size) at most Bath & Body Works OR get it at Amazon. This cream shaves as good as anything else out there AND the mentholated cooling thing when you rinse is so-o-o-o-o-o goooooood. Still, at $10, it's a very good deal. It also gets my Italophile side squirming with pleasure.
The Moss Scuttle While not strictly necessary -- you can get a lather going on the palm of your hand if you had to -- I wouldn't wanna shave without it ever again.

I'm pretty neutral on the moisturizing aftershave. My skin manages to issue so much in the way of lipids that it's never been an issue so far. The posh guys are probably right in liking Trumper, so go with that, or Truefitt & Hill's Ultimate Comfort, if you want something unscented.

Okay. Now go knock that 5 o'clock shadow off.

-J.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table Read Theater - The Lost Keys (Rough Cut II)

Giving thanks...

Table Read Theater - Triangulated (Rough Cut)